As a charity run by an independent Foundation, the Museum relies heavily on the generous contributions our volunteers make. This wonderful group come from all walks of life and get involved in all areas of the Museum, depending on their interests and talents. Our roles include:
- Visitor Welcome – Come as little or as often as you would like to give a warm welcome to our visitors from all over the World. Training is given and our friendly team will give you all the support you require
- Gardener – We need help all year round to maintain the high standard of our medicinal and culinary herb garden. Give as much or as little time as you can spare
- Education Volunteer – Our small team of Education Volunteers help run our varied programme of workshops for schools, alongside our Education Officer. A perfect chance for those previously involved in education to still use their skills
- Weddings Assistant – We hold varying numbers of weddings at the House each year and more help is always required. Helping out at such happy occasions is always a treat
- Events Team – Our fundraising events vary from pop-up tearooms to ghostly Halloween antics and are always great fun
- Promotional team – Taking opportunities to promote events by handing out leaflets in the city.
- We even have a thriving Anna Seward Sewing Group, producing authentic Georgian outfits!
Our volunteers are also involved in projects
The transcription of the Common Place Book
The transcription of Erasmus Darwin’s Common Place Book took many years to complete, but can now be enjoyed by everyone.
When transcribing Darwin’s words you soon realised that he scribbled down his thoughts and sketches, just as they came to him. There was not much forethought; these words and sketches were raw information on which he could later build.
Our volunteers have produced and now run regular tours for groups and individuals. Please click here for details.
If you would like to join our friendly team, or would like more information, please call the office for a chat on 01543 306260.
We appreciate any time you can give us.